Saturday, March 30, 2013

Decrypting & Recovering the TiVo iOS App

So now I have the TiVo app on my iPod Touch, and I know it works.  The next step is to get a copy of that application to my PC for disassembly.

Decrypting the TiVo IPA

Because the application is downloaded through the App Store, it is encrypted.  It doesn't matter if it is a free app or not, it is always encrypted.

(If you want a very technical analysis of how the App Store encryption works, you can read about it here: http://dvlabs.tippingpoint.com/blog/2009/03/06/reverse-engineering-iphone-appstore-binaries)

First I installed "Clutch" from Cydia, this will be used to decrypt the iOS application.

Remotely log into the iPod Touch terminal, then navigate your way to the TiVo application folder:

>> cd /var/mobile/Applications/{APP_UID}/Quicksilver.app

>> clutch Quicksilver

Recovering the decrypted IPA

Now we can fire up our FTP client and log into the iPod to recover the decrypted application to our PC


I copied this IPA file to my PC, now I am ready to fire up my disassembler...

No comments:

Post a Comment