Saturday, March 30, 2013

Downloading the TiVo iOS App

My first step was to try to dissect the iOS Tivo application that allowed streaming from the TiVo Stream.  I assumed this would be a rather easy task, seeing as how I had experience with this on the Android platform. However, the process was a lot more difficult given the low-level objective-c language that the iOS applications are written in (compared to java on Android)...

Downloading the TiVo IPA

I grabbed an old TiVo I had laying around and upgraded it to the latest version of iOS (6.1) & rooted it.  Next I downloaded the TiVo app from the app store, the current version is 2.2.1, released January 14th, 2013.


Before I modified anything, I wanted to simply see how the TiVo stream experience worked.  I fired up the application and selected my TiVo Premiere from a device list (after a scan for TiVo's took place), it asked me for a Media Access Key which was available through a series of menus on my TiVo.  


Once I had that settled, I was shown a TV Guide (from my TiVo I assume).


Clicking on one of the TV Shows took me to a sub menu, one of the items on the screen was "Watch Now".


Upon selecting "Watch Now", I was presented with an option to change the channel on my TiVo or stream it to my device.




At this point, when I attempted to stream it to my device, I was met with a nasty warning about streaming being disabled on jailbroken devices and then the application shut down.  Doing some research on the internet I found a (non app specific) patch that I could apply to my phone in order to allow me to bypass this restriction.  It is called "XCon" and the thread can be found here: https://github.com/n00neimp0rtant/xCon-Issues/issues/94





Once I applied the patch I was able to successfully stream video to my iPod.  I have to admit, I was shocked by the quality of the video and how easy it was to scroll through the guide and get started watching shows.  If only I could do this on my Android device...

No comments:

Post a Comment