Saturday, March 30, 2013

How it started

I have been a TiVo user for years, and I have become quite frustrated at their lack of advancement in the technology sector.

However, I was excited when they announced the TiVo stream, what a great invention.  I have had a slingbox for as long as I can remember, and it is a great device, unfortunately it cannot stream in anything above SD, and it suffers from the fact that the user watching TV must be watching the same thing as the sling user.  The TiVo stream appeared to have solved these problems, allowing up to 4 users to stream at once, each being delegated a tuner.  The TiVo stream also would stream in HD.

However,  I was quite surprised when 6 months passed and only iOS devices could stream, rendering my PC & Android devices useless.

Assuming that TiVo was just sitting around doing nothing, I decided to see if there was an easy way to enable this feature for Android & PC, thus, I began to reverse engineer the TiVo Stream.

I had been in the market for a TiVo Premiere for a few months, and TiVo email me with a promotion that allowed me to buy a TiVo and get a free TiVo stream.  I figured this was a good time to start my project and I went ahead and ordered the stream.  It arrived in a few days and I began my task.

No comments:

Post a Comment